My employer wants to cut my salary, alter my working hours or otherwise change my working conditions: Is that allowed?

If your employment contract includes a unilateral changes clause, your employer may – under circumstances – unilaterally change your employment terms. He may do so if he has a substantial interest in the change and if his interest outweighs your interest.

In case no unilateral changes clause is included in your employment contract, your employer, in principle, may not change your terms of employment without your consent. Nevertheless, the employer may in some cases unilaterally amend the agreement. An employee must behave as a “good employee” according to Dutch law. If your employer makes you a reasonable proposal which you cannot reasonably refuse, being a good employee involves that you must agree to it.

Share on social media

Related questions

  • How can my employer terminate my employment contract?

    Employees enjoy strong legal protection under Dutch dismissal law. Your employer can terminate your employment contract in different ways:

    Tip: If your employment contract is terminated upon the initiative of your employer, he must usually pay you transition compensation.

  • What am I at least entitled to as an employee in terms of wage and holiday days?

    You are entitled to at least the statutory minimum wage. The Minimum Wage and Minimum Holiday Allowance Act provides for a statutory minimum wage for all employees from the age of 21 and a statutory minimum youth wage for employees between the ages of 15 and 20. Minimum standards are set by the government twice a year in January and July. Based on the aforementioned Act, you are also entitled to a statutory minimum holiday allowance of at least 8% of your gross annual wage to a maximum of three times the yearly minimum wage.

    Furthermore, you are entitled to at least the statutory holiday days, which is four times your weekly working days. Thus, if you work five days a week, you are entitled to twenty holiday days per year. Your employer is obliged to continue the payment of wage during your holiday days.

  • Based on what contracts can I perform work in the Netherlands?

    You can perform work in the Netherlands based on an employment contract. Employment contracts are subject to a specific set of rules, Dutch employment law. The employment contract must be distinguished from commission and freelance contracts (opdrachtovereenkomsten) and contracting for work (aanneming van werk).

    There are different kind of employment contracts. You can enter into a permanent employment contract (‘permanent contract’) with your employer. You can also enter into a enter into a fixed-term employment contract (‘temporary contract’), with a set end date. Upon reaching this date, the employment contract ends automatically.

    Furthermore, you can perform work based on other flexible employment contracts, such as:

    • An on-call contract (zero-hours contract, mini-max contract or on-call contract with pre-agreement)
    • An agency work employment contract; or
    • A payroll contract