How can I terminate my employment contract?

You can resign from your job. There are, however, a few things to consider if you are planning on resigning.

If you resign, you must in principle take into account the notice period. For an employee, the statutory notice period is one month. However, a different notice period may have been agreed upon in your employment contract. Please note that notice of termination is to be given with effect from the end of the calendar month. Thus, if your notice period is one month and you terminate your employment contract on 15 March, your contract will end on 30 April.

If you have a temporary contract, you cannot always terminate your employment contract before the set end date. Premature termination of a temporary employment contract is only possible if this has been agreed in writing. If your employment contract, however, does not include a premature termination clause, you will need permission from your employer to prematurely resign.

Note: If you resign, you will usually not be entitled to unemployment benefits (WW-uitkering), since  you are responsible for your own unemployment.

Share on social media

Related questions

  • How can my employer terminate my employment contract?

    Employees enjoy strong legal protection under Dutch dismissal law. Your employer can terminate your employment contract in different ways:

    Tip: If your employment contract is terminated upon the initiative of your employer, he must usually pay you transition compensation.

  • What am I at least entitled to as an employee in terms of wage and holiday days?

    You are entitled to at least the statutory minimum wage. The Minimum Wage and Minimum Holiday Allowance Act provides for a statutory minimum wage for all employees from the age of 21 and a statutory minimum youth wage for employees between the ages of 15 and 20. Minimum standards are set by the government twice a year in January and July. Based on the aforementioned Act, you are also entitled to a statutory minimum holiday allowance of at least 8% of your gross annual wage to a maximum of three times the yearly minimum wage.

    Furthermore, you are entitled to at least the statutory holiday days, which is four times your weekly working days. Thus, if you work five days a week, you are entitled to twenty holiday days per year. Your employer is obliged to continue the payment of wage during your holiday days.

  • Based on what contracts can I perform work in the Netherlands?

    You can perform work in the Netherlands based on an employment contract. Employment contracts are subject to a specific set of rules, Dutch employment law. The employment contract must be distinguished from commission and freelance contracts (opdrachtovereenkomsten) and contracting for work (aanneming van werk).

    There are different kind of employment contracts. You can enter into a permanent employment contract (‘permanent contract’) with your employer. You can also enter into a enter into a fixed-term employment contract (‘temporary contract’), with a set end date. Upon reaching this date, the employment contract ends automatically.

    Furthermore, you can perform work based on other flexible employment contracts, such as:

    • An on-call contract (zero-hours contract, mini-max contract or on-call contract with pre-agreement)
    • An agency work employment contract; or
    • A payroll contract