My neighbours are going to renovate, what can I do against it?

If a permit is required for the renovations of your neighbours, you can object to the municipality or submit an opinion to the municipality. You have to do so within the fatal deadline of six weeks after the publication of the (draft) decision. Make sure to keep a close eye on the municipal announcements. You can find them on the municipal website or in the free local paper.

In the notice of objection/opinion you explain why and that you do not agree with the building plans. If the objection/opinion fails, you can appeal to the court and, if necessary, to the Administrative Jurisdiction Division of the Council of State.

Some renovations, for instance a dormer at the back of a building, are not subject to a permit requirement. If you do not agree with these plans, talk to your neighbours and try to work it out together.

Share on social media

Related questions

  • Does a webshop fall under the rental protection for retail space?

    That depends on whether customers can pick up orders in the rented property. If that is the case, then, in principle, the same extensive rental protection applies as for ordinary retail premises, catering establishments and pick-up and delivery services, where customers can purchase products or services directly. For instance, the lessor can only terminate the lease with a legal ground for termination and that termination requires the consent of the tenant or the court.

    If the webshop is mainly a showroom where products can be tested that are sent after they have been ordered, in principle, the extended rental protection does not apply. The tenant can only invoke evacuation protection.

    In case of a combination of both types of use the main use determines the extent of rental protection. According to the court, a pedicure who carried out treatments in the rented premises and also had care products sold through her online shop picked up from the premises, did not fall under the extensive rental protections for ordinary retail premises.

  • I rented out my place for one year. The tenant wants to extend for half a year. Can I agree to this without risk?

    No. You run the risk of the rental agreement automatically changing into a rental agreement for an indefinite period. And the tenant might be entitled to full rent protection.

    It is possible to rent out residential accommodation for a limited period of time up to a maximum of 2 years with reduced rent protection. However, this is subject to strict conditions, for example, the rental agreement cannot be renewed. If you do so anyway, the rental agreement automatically changes into a rental agreement for an indefinite period and the tenant is entitled to full rent protection.

    Consequence: You need a legal ground for termination to terminate the lease and the consent of the tenant or the court.

  • When does the tenant of an office, warehouse, or practice space have to leave the premises if the lessor gives notice of termination?

    The tenant must vacate the premises within 2 months after the notified evacuation date, or request evacuation protection in the subdistrict court. The court assesses whether the interest of the tenant is more seriously harmed by the eviction than the interest of the landlord by the tenant’s continued use.

    The judge can extend the eviction period by one year. After that, the tenant can request an extension twice more. During the proceedings, the tenant may continue to use the rented property. Of course, the tenant must then continue to pay rent.

    The landlord may demand eviction in summary proceedings if the tenant fails to request eviction protection in good time and does not voluntarily vacate the leased property.

  • Can I exercise my profession / business in the property I found?

    That depends on the zoning plan and possibly on the leasehold conditions and lease agreement. The municipal zoning plan lays down which use is permitted on a particular plot of land, for instance, residential, retail, business, office or social use.

    Deviation from the zoning plan is sometimes possible with an environmental permit. This way, your company can still be realised in the building you found.

    So have an expert assess the zoning plan before you buy or rent a property.